Penpont

Penpont

Above: Reading Room opening c1911, by Lady Onslow with a silver key, and St. Breward Silver Band St. Breward is often described as ‘Five hamlets in search of a village’. This month we are going to look at our furthermost hamlet to the south of the main village. The...

‘Tin-Tack’ – Leslie Williams

The unknown man in our December article has been identified as Leslie Williams. It appears that Leslie was known as ‘Tin-Tack’ and lived in a cottage near Chapel Terrace, in St. Breward. If anyone has any information on Leslie or other photographs, please...
The Wenford Inn before Wenford Bridge Pottery

The Wenford Inn before Wenford Bridge Pottery

Above: Wenford Inn sketch by Pamela Bousfield The Wenford Inn and brew-house were built around 1834 to meet the demand created by the building of the Bodmin and Wadebridge railway. Inside the building there were numerous wooden partition walls which divided the Inn...
The Wenford Dries

The Wenford Dries

Above: Drying tanks c1924. Photo: Trevor Ternouth Situated between Wenford Bridge and Poley’s Bridge, the dries were built around 1907 by the Stannon China Clay Company (SCCC). The choice of the site was heavily influenced by the presence of the railway line which was...
St. Breward School Team – 1987

St. Breward School Team – 1987

For those of you who might know the young men that appear in this picture . . . a reminder that the photograph was taken 37 years ago! Back L-R: Michael Barnett, Kevin Cracknell, Philip Hoskin, Ian Turner and Jamie Cox. Front L-R: Neil Simpson, Dean Hill, Daniel...