Penpont

Penpont

Above: Reading Room opening c1911, by Lady Onslow with a silver key, and St. Breward Silver Band St. Breward is often described as ‘Five hamlets in search of a village’. This month we are going to look at our furthermost hamlet to the south of the main village. The...
The Wenford Inn before Wenford Bridge Pottery

The Wenford Inn before Wenford Bridge Pottery

Above: Wenford Inn sketch by Pamela Bousfield The Wenford Inn and brew-house were built around 1834 to meet the demand created by the building of the Bodmin and Wadebridge railway. Inside the building there were numerous wooden partition walls which divided the Inn...
The Armstrong Family

The Armstrong Family

The Armstrong family is descended from the Border Reivers who lived mostly lawless lives on the border between England and Scotland between the 13th and 17th centuries.  Our Armstrongs originated in Kirkcudbright, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland and then some time...
The St. Breward ‘Bheys’

The St. Breward ‘Bheys’

Original History by Trevor Ternouth 1986 Ralph and Roy Kerslake with Trevor Ternouth, their second cousin, started meeting for lunchtime meals around 1986. Ralph, who lived in Torquay, had to come to Liskeard for his monthly Masonic Lodge meetings. Roy lived at...

Where was that cottage?

St Breward History Group was approached via its website by the husband of a lady in poor health – they had been reminiscing about a holiday they had had in a cottage named Venn back in 1985. They thought it was in St Breward and sent a photo of the cottage taken at...