The earliest written record of the bells in St Breward is in 1281. St Breward is
mentioned together with Altarnun, St Erth, St Issey and St Veryan, as
possessing two large bells apiece, which was probably the usual complement
of the small towers then in existence. We know nothing for certain of the
tower in which they were hung, but the massive base of the lowest stage of the
church tower suggests a Norman construction, later cased and heightened in
the 15th century. The walls are 5½ft thick and may well have been part of a
12th century Norman tower built to house the two large bells. Charles
Henderson in his “Essays on Cornish history” tells us that, even earlier than
this, every Celtic saint had his handbell and St Branwalader in the 6th
century probably conformed to this custom.
In 1331 the Dean and Chapter’s Visitation recorded that, out of 16
churches inspected, St Breward and Gwinear were the only two reported to
be in good order, so we may suppose the bells and tower to have been well
looked after.
The present church tower was built in the 15th
