Our picture this month shows a rare view of the Aveling & Porter steam roller No. 8548, outside St Breward Stores, circa 1920.
Britannia weighed almost 15 tons and was powered by a 5HP single-cylinder engine connected to a 2-speed gearbox.
Manufactured in 1915, she was delivererd on 24 April to R. Dingle & Sons of Stoke Climsland who used her to repair the lanes of Cornwall until 1955.
Britannia is now owned by Mr Henri Collings of Abergavenny who is supervising the installation of a new boiler by specialist engineers in Hereford.
We have been able to date the picture as there is no sign of the number plate AF 4442 which was allocated on 17 August 1921.
Photo courtesy of Trevor Ternouth.