Joseph May married Anne Lanndry Warne at St Kew parish church on 23 December 1879.
Joseph and Anne had six children – Harry, Evelyn, Winifred, Robert Francis [Frank], Joseph Charles [Charles] and Mabel. The family lived at St Kew Highway and Penryn before settling at Higher Penquite in St Breward around the turn of the 20th century.
In the 1911 census all the brothers described their occupations as ‘stonemasons’ and worked at De Lank and Tor Down. It wasn’t until 1918 that Harry had the opportunity to buy land with quarrying rights which became Hantergantick.
The quarry initially satisfied the demand for memorials and headstones at the end of the Great War but went on to provide stone for countless famous buildings, memorials and civil projects nationwide until its eventual closure in 1997.
L-R: Frank, Harry and Charles May – Seated: Winifred and Anne May.
Photo courtesy of Alan May, ref: SBHG 2260